Saturday, May 23, 2009

Salsa


Lately, we have been picking up vine-on tomatoes almost every time we go grocery shopping.  It's becoming difficult to think of not having them around, similar to the idea of running out of olive oil or milk.  It did not occur to me to make salsa for some time, although thankfully, I appear to have come to my senses.

There's no specific recipe for this salsa, although I used one medium tomato, a small handful of torn cilantro, a clove of minced garlic, a splash of lime juice, half a roughly chopped jalapeno, a pinch of Hawaiian red salt and a grind of pepper.  I did try it earlier with basil, which was also good -- you can certainly substitute any herb for the cilantro that you like if you are one of the lucky ones who registers cilantro as being soapy.   You can also add onion, as is usual.  I simply left it out because raw onion is not one of my favorite things. 

Regardless of the combination used, mix everything together, drain some of the excess juice, and stash in the refrigerator for about one hour before serving to meld the flavors together.  



No comments:

Post a Comment